We researched some of our local news today:
Down In Flames?
The National Glass Centre experienced a fire at 1:30 AM on Wednesday morning. The fire was caused by an electrical fault behind a panel in a ladies toilet cubicle.
The fire crew manager Tony Chapman said “We used the thermal imaging camera to locate the fire really quickly and were able to isolate it.” He also said that if the fire was not found quickly it would have been an entirely different outcome; the whole building may have gone up in flames!
Asbestos In Schools!
65% of schools in Sunderland have been present with asbestos presently. 79 out of 117 schools, which include nurseries, have contained a potentially deadly material. It has been known that if asbestos is damaged, the fibres can be breathed in and due to this, victims can develop mesothelioma. MP for Houghton and Sunderland South, Bridget Phillipson, has raised concerns, when in Parliament. She said “Too often are teachers have to maintain schools rather than teach in them.”
Strikes On Wearside
Civil servants across Wearside have manned picket lines and warned: “Listen to us or we’ll strike again”
Members of the PCS union have took industrial on the day the Chancellor delivered his budget, stating that the pensions and working conditions are still being debated.