To ensure that all aspects of food and nutrition in school promote health and wellbeing of pupils, staff and visitors to our school.
Objectives: What do we want to achieve?
• Review formal curriculum to ensure information relating to food and nutrition in different lesson areas in consistent and up-to-date.
• Work with the school caterer to trial a healthy breakfast club, serving a limited range of items.
• Establish a food week in school to promote healthy eating and drinking messages.
• Ensure that the vending machine has a variety of drinks available, e.g. water and fruit juice to promote healthier eating and drinking.
• Pilot an after school healthier cookery club.
• Ensure that the teacher with responsibility for food has basic food hygiene training.
Guidelines : How are we going to meet our objectives?
• Discuss at School Council. Set up a sub-group, a School Nutrition Action Group, to monitor change.
• Formal curriculum: Set up cross-curricular working group to audit food based topics at each key stage.
• Breakfast: Work with caterer on a menu of breakfast options and a reasonable cost. Publicise club in form time and school newsletter, plus through poster advertising in the corridors.
• Food week: Run the Sainsbury's Taste of Success Food Awards in school during D&T week in June.
• Vending: Inform supplier that a range of drink choices must be made available, or terminate contract.
• Extra-curricular: Establish an after school cookery club.
• CPD: Send teacher in charge of food on 1-day basic food hygiene course.